My guest this week is Iasonas Bakas. Iasonas is a full time structural engineer, part time PhD candidate and a creative at heart. He dedicates the majority of his spare time to drafting portraits in graphite and exploring the influence of graphic design on traditional drawing. He is fascinated by the individuality of each one of us and as such he tries to capture not necessarily the fine detail in his work but mainly the gesture, expression and emotion. He is just stepping into the use of oil paint, while he is also planning to start exhibiting again as art spaces become available after COVID.
I loved talking with Iasonas about how his technical career as a structural engineer benefits his art. In my experience, we do not often hear stories exemplifying how we can be both corporate and creative (usually the end goal is making enough money from your art to leave the corporate world behind!). But, like me, Iasonas actively enjoys integrating both into his life. I am happy to share this conversation in the hope it inspires even just one of you to take up your space as a creative despite having a technical background... there's no rulebook for creativity and, as Iasonas shows in this episode, your multi faceted nature is what makes you and your creativity oh so beautifully unique.
In this episode we discuss:
- How Iasonas's career as a structural engineer, and pursuits as a PhD student, inform his art.
- How he, as a self taught artist, structures and executes creative projects like learning to draw.
- How to avoid overwhelm when juggling a career and creative pursuits on the side.
- The importance of focusing on progress over perfectionism, and how to value progress first.
- The harsh truths about the difficulties of selling art online and how he intends to set himself up for creative business success.
SAY HI TO IASONAS: https://www.instagram.com/bakas.artist/
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY:
- sign up for The Brew (our newsletter): https://www.thecreativescoffeeclub.com/thebrew
- Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thecreativescoffeeclub/
- Follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/itscharlieindia
- Watch on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJIlQ8T836wBB7LxUTT4b-g
BUY US A COFFEE: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/tcccpodcast
Business enquiries: email@example.com
To all of you that have contributed to this community, THANK YOU, truly - you are the caffeine to my (very) decaffeinated coffee!